Sunday, November 10, 2013

Marburg Revisited!


Guten Tag!

This last weekend Eric and I stayed around Marburg. We have been traveling a lot and needed some downtime to recover. We had a nice relaxing weekend that involved a game night at our friends' place (with homemade pumpkin soup!) and more friends over at our place on Sunday. The weekend also involved a lot of cleaning to get ready for company. The moral of the story is that although our weekend was nice, nothing really worth blogging about. So, it is now time for the much anticipated castle pictures I promised you in one of my very first posts. I also have some nice photos from around Marburg I have been gradually collecting. Although chronologically this happened a few weeks ago it is still worth sharing.

Here are some cool Marburg old town pictures:
   
 






This plaque says that the building is really old! And that someone worth noting lived here.


Near our first apartment is a little church that has an interesting cemetery.






Marburg is really into the Brothers Grimm. Both of the brothers attended the University of Marburg and supposedly they collected many of their fairy tales while in Marburg. Consequently there are a lot of weird statues all over town that usually have a dilapidated, paint peeling, theme park kind of look. I don't know which tale this one is referring but I think it is one of the nicer homages. (The bus stop right before ours is 'BrĂ¼der Grimm Strasse').


Here is a nice creative fountain. There is a chance that it could be somehow associated with the Brothers Grimm, you never can tell for sure. I wish the horses didn't have duplo block bodies.


 

The big church in Marburg is called 'Elisabethkirche'. It is pretty standard by way of European churches but it does have a nice door. Apparently owls live in the towers; I will let you know if I see one. I look every time I walk by.









There is a large school for the blind in Marburg. You see a lot of visually impaired people all over town. (I saw a blind lady jay walk a busy street- I am constantly impressed). Marburg has put lots of effort into installing things for the visually impaired. There is braille all over this statue of Elisabethkirche which is right outside the church.


Right next to Elisabethkirche are some ruins of the old hospital? I am a little unclear (my German plaque reading skills are not so good). But it is on postcards and somehow noteworthy.



(The spires on the left are Elisabethkirche.)


Also right next to the church is this university building with statues. I think this is the geography building or something. University buildings are hugely spread out over town. There is 30 minutes in between classes for a reason.



It's finally schloss time! View from the next hill over:


Walking up the backside of the schloss:






Courtyard of the castle; still have not been inside. We are saving it for our first visitor- who will come claim this amazing prize??? It is up for grabs!



View from the top! Elisabethkirche once again.


Castle grounds.

 
 


This amazing house is tucked up here by the castle.


That is it for 'Marburg Revisited'. Eric and I are not taking any trips in the near future so blog content is getting into crisis mode. The lean times may be upon us, don't get too used to these 40+ picture posts.

Auf Wiedersehen!


4 comments:

  1. No fair! We don't get free airfare...and although doing better. I am still healing. I want to see the courtyard and my beautiful tucked away house. Eric looks like a giant in the castle window. Short dwellers? Allie, I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't slack off on your posts! I am totally addicted and constantly keep checking for my next ' generous helping' ...many photos included.... of your charming adventures. JRJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. what do you mean you wont have more pictures! that's my favorite part! and the truth is , I'm going with Eric's mom! so now you'll need to buy two tickets! i love the story of the game day. i bet you had the best time. that would be the best day of all! I' m off to California next week to have thanksgiving with my cousins. Ill be back at your moms in December. I expect more pics! Love you guys and I love your adventure...thanks...Love Miss Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donatella wanted to write the following, but she couldn't because the blog doesn't seem to accept anonymous comments and kept asking her to log in.

    I like your blog! Please let me know when you see the owl! I wanted to see them, too, but I never could! Donatella

    ReplyDelete