Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Karen's Visit Part 1

A few days after the Walkingshaws left we had another visitor; my Godmother Karen! Karen was on a European tour and decided to make a stop in Marburg. 
Our first stop was the brush store! 


Karen was very excited about the brush store and it did not disappoint!



So many brushes...


A toilet brush was purchased!


This is the hidden basket room.



After the brush store we went up to the castle for some dinner. 
The atmosphere was perfect and the food was pretty good too.



Another request Karen had was to come to a riding lesson. 
Here she is helping me get ready with my horse Marduk in the background.



Marduk was a dream boat for me that day which made me look good for Karen; 
he has since picked up his old habits and has been giving me trouble...


No trip to Marburg is complete without a trip to "Chevy's American Diner"! 
(Right across the street from our apartment).


Karen took this nice photo of us in our apartment- 
that is a view of the castle in the background!


This great giraffe shirt was a present to me from Karen, super cute!


Not only did I get the giraffe shirt but fancy chocolates too! 
They were really delicious.



For dinner we went to a local gästehaus. We all ordered the fish and somehow got the schnitzel instead. The spargel was excellent; asparagus that is grown 
underground so that it is white and very tender.



Our last Marburg event was the Spiegelslust. 



The next morning we drove 3 hours south to Rothenburg. 
Both Karen and I had been here before but it had been many years for both of us.


Rothenburg has a complete medieval wall encircling the altstadt, we did not have time to walk the whole of it but the parts we were able to walk were excellent.









We were on a mission to find delicious apfelstrudel Karen got here many years ago. 
Sadly there was not strudel but we consoled ourselves with other tasty desserts instead.


There was time to go inside the famous Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas store. This little guy was in the window. I looked for him in ornament form and could not find it otherwise 
I would have taken him home with me.


I later found out I was taking pictures illegally.




The store is massive- and it is ALL Christmas!



Since it was Easter weekend there were lots of decorations up. 
All the fountains had these beautiful egg garlands.



Beautiful view of the valley.




More city wall walking.







My favorite weather vane ever!











After a few hours in Rothenburg we hit the road again and arrived at our favorite Swabian friends. Elke had a light snack waiting for us!


Later that evening she also fed us spätzle- I was very happy!


Gerhard always has a toy close by, this time it was his hunting calls.

 

We all gave Alyssa "Easter" presents. It is taboo to do birthday things 
before the actual day but "Easter" presents are acceptable.


A trip to the Grözingers must always include homemade schnapps.




A great beginning to the trip! Stay tuned for more fine dining and touristing.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Eric's shot glass matches his shirt at Grozingers.....how many times has he been there ?

    ReplyDelete