Thursday, September 12, 2013

Marburg the Town

Guten Tag!

Last week I eluded to a post about Marburg the town...and here it is!

Marburg is located about an hour North of Frankfurt. From what we can tell so far Marburg is the German equivalent of Corvallis; quaint college town. Although Marburg does have about 80,000 people; 30,000 more than Corvallis.

Here are a few snapshots I took, mostly in the charming Altstadt (old town) part of the city.


At the top of the hill is the schloss (castle). I don't have any pictures of it right now but at night it is lit up and very beautiful. I will eventually put some schloss pictures up here but for right now it is a long uphill walk to get there, and since it has been raining everyday, not a super appealing trek.

Something that Marburg has is an all brush shop. Hair brushes, toothbrushes, chimney sweeps, dish brushes- you name it. I think this must be a German thing because at the Pferdemarkt festival we came across at least 3 boothes that only sold brushes. We also passed lots of Germans buying said brushes. This Marburg shop is very charming; although they are selling a chess set in the window.


Another (German?) thing has been a lot of statue free flowing drinking water. The signs say you can drink it but so far I have not been brave enough. This is one of several fountains (all different) that are located in Marburg.


Here is a tiny model of Marburg from a long time ago? Haven't quite figured it out yet. It is located in a very central square (see picture 2) so it must be important somehow.


On the edge of the altstadt is the river Lahn. I have not walked along it much (see comment about rain) but from what I have seen it is very nice. Does not appear as though you can inner tube down it but there are paddle boats available for rent.



My final picture probably should have been in the last post but here it is anyways. It is Eric standing outside the front door of our apartment building. Did I mention our apartment is on the fourth floor? No elevator. The hike is fine if you are not carrying anything but watch out if you have a bunch of groceries. Don't even think about it if you moved to a foreign country and have 5 suitcases. Eric looks a little too happy for someone about to summit four floors...


Thanks for making it all the way to the end. Not sure what next week will be, I am thinking maybe a montage of mini adventures we have had.

Auf Wiedersehen!





6 comments:

  1. The pictures are great...I hope you get some blue skies next time. You can include a fountain/ water pic in each blog and see how long it takes to get them all! I'll be looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guten tag, Allison! What a great adventure you'll be having this coming year. The town of Marburg looks lovely. I bet you'll be fluent in German by the time you return to the states. Can't wait to read more about your time there.

    Auf Wiedersehen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The earlier comment was from me, Robin Evans. It didn't post my name and I thought you might like to know who's commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome opportunity for you both! It looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a really nice city! I hope that I will be able to come and say hi at some point when you are there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I look at these pictures, it make me want to drink a beer from a stein.

    ReplyDelete